Information for users of 10.3.x versions of Mac OS X (Panther).
If you use Safari1.x with Flash Player9, you will be unable to register the solved puzzle history at the members page of nikoli.com. You will also be unable to save the unfinished solutions of puzzles. After you click the "Post" or "Save" button, a "Please wait..." window appears, and then nothing further happens.
Environments affected by this problem
The Safari1.x and Flash Player9 combination causes this problem!
If you update your system from Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) you will run into this problem nearly all the time.
Mac OS X 10.3.x users can only use versions 1.x of Safari. If you update Mac OS X 10.3x, "Security Update 2007-003" will be installed, and "Security Update 2007-003" changes the versions of your Flash Player from 8 to 9. Even if you have had no trouble until now, after the system update you will probably experience this kind of trouble.
Getting around the problem
Use another browser!
nikoli.com recommends to use Firefox. Please download Firefox for Mac OS X at the link here. Then please install it.
Updating Mac OS X to Tiger
You should not experience major problems with Mac OS X 10.4x(Tiger), here you can use Safari 2.x. The trouble happens only under Safari 1.x.
However, the update costs money and you may experience problems with other software when updating OS X. Please think about that before you decide to update your OS X.
Change the versions of Flash Player from 9 to 8
Note! Adobe systems, the vender of Flash Player, has announced that Flash Player 8 has security problems. You should be aware of this before you make this change.
Then also, future system updates of Mac OS X may change the Flash Player version from 8 to 9.
Procedure for changing to Flash Player 8
- Download the "Flash Player Uninstaller" for Mac OS X (PowerPC) from the Adobe website. Then use it and uninstall the Flash Player.
- Download the Flash Player 8.
- Turn off all running browsers.
- Extract the fp8_archive.zip file. Here you will find various OS and Flash Player versions. Open the ones with the highest numbers of the folder and install the Flash Player for Mac OS X, it has a name like flashplayer8r34_mac.dmg.
- Visit "Version test for Adobe Flash Player" page with Safari and verify the versions of the Flash Player that installed to Safari.