This document was last updated: October 5, 2009
Nikoli Co., Ltd., created, maintains, and operates "nikoli.com" (the "Site") as a service to provide puzzle-related content and products. The Site is designed to serve puzzle learners and lovers of all ages.
We take reasonable precautions to protect the confidentiality and security of the information we maintain about your child. It is important that you understand, however, that no Web site or database is completely secure or "hacker proof."
- Password Protection: For your child's protection, all authorized users must log in each time they visit the Site. Nikoli will send your child an email containing a password as soon as your child's registration is complete. Please make sure your child does not share his or her password with others. We have the right to assume that anyone who accesses this Site using your child's password is, in fact, your child and we will grant access accordingly.
- Information Sent to Us by Your Child's Web Browser: We collect information that is sent to us automatically by the child's web browser. This information typically includes the child's computer's IP address, the address of the web page the child was visiting when he or she accessed our Site, the name of the operating system (such as Windows? or Macintosh?) installed on the child's computer, the name and version of the browser (such as Netscape? or Internet Explorer?) the child is using, and the date and time of the child's visit. The information we receive depends on the settings on the child's web browser. Please check your child's browser if you want to learn what information the browser sends or how to change your settings.
We require a child under the age of 13, who use the Site, to obtain written consent from a parent or guardian before registering the Site. Click here to download consent forms. A parent who has given his or her consent may withdraw it at any time by contacting our Customer Service area by sending a dated and signed request that includes your child's name and email address by mail or by fax to: Nikoli Co., Ltd. 4-17-10, Kuramae, Taito-ku, 111-0051 Tokyo, Japan,
We believe that you, as a parent, have the right to know the specific types or categories of personal information we have collected from your child, to review the information your child has provided, and to request that your child's personal information be deleted. Contact us directly if you would like to access your child's personal information or have it deleted. Contact Us
Why do we collect personal information?
What personal information do we collect?
You must open an account or complete an online registration with Nikoli Co., Ltd. to play our non-downloadable puzzles or purchase our products and services. Information gathered during the registration or account creation process, or during access to particular products and services, may differ based on the nature of the product or service. Information that you provide when registering or creating an account, or accessing or using your account or our products or services associated with you account, may include: name and email address; billing information; information concerning products and content purchased, accessed, downloaded and/or burned; location information; computer configuration; the IP Internet address and URL; demographic information provided by you; and whether you logged into or out of a Nikoli Co., Ltd. service, or changed your password or billing information.
How do we keep your personal information secure?
Nikoli understands that it is a privilege to have you as a customer and is committed to protecting your personal information. Nikoli has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. These include a firewall to prevent unauthorized access to our system and maintenance of registration information in a separate database. Although we will exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information between your computer and our servers, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet and we accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure. We will protect the transmission of credit card information through industry standard, SSL (secure socket layer) encryption.
How do we use your personal information?
Nikoli uses your personal information to:
- Deliver to you and bill you for Nikoli products and services, and communicate with you concerning your account and customer service issues. This may include verifying authorization of credit card usage before any purchase of our content and or services;
- Verify access rights to our content or other access-restricted services;
- Improve our content and services by providing personalized content recommendations, language and location customization, and/or personalized help and instructions;
- Determine if you meet the minimum system requirements to use our products or content, and provide information concerning compatibility and interoperability to you;
- Ask you to participate in surveys about products, services, news, and events;
- Provide you with news, free newsletters, updates, targeted advertising, promotions, and special offers; and
- Better understand how our products are used, including Web traffic patterns and what types of content are most popular with users of our products and services.
Email, Newsletters, and Advertising
Nikoli may collect and temporarily store personal information that you voluntarily submit to us via email when contacting our Customer Service. For example, we provide on our site a link through which an online visitor can send e-mail to customer service addressing any issue a user encounters with our products and services. Any personal information contained in such email is used by Nikoli for the sole purpose of responding to your question. Although most e-mail messages are deleted immediately after they are responded to, in certain cases, hard copies or data from certain e-mail correspondence may be kept on file for security purposes. Any such copy or data will also be stored in a secure location, and information from these messages will not be used for marketing purposes.
Ordering or using the Site, our products or services allows you to tell us how or whether you want Nikoli to communicate with you. Nikoli may send you our newsletters and marketing emails about our products, services, content, and any special offers. During accessing to our products and services, you may opt out of receiving Nikoli's marketing e-mails and/or newsletters for the relevant products or services. However, we may continue to send you e-mail about your status or other information concerning your purchase of our products and services.
When and how do we share your information with third parties?
Nikoli does not use your personal information for purposes incompatible with those listed above. Nikoli does not sell, rent, or share your personal information to a third party unless you consent to provide such information to a third party partner or content service.
Nikoli may disclose relevant information about our customers to our contractors (e.g. a customer service contractor or a credit card clearing system) in order for them to provide specific services for Nikoli, and to better serve our customers. Nikoli's contractors are bound by strict contractual requirements to keep all personal information they process strictly confidential and to use such information solely on behalf of Nikoli.
Also, Nikoli may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law; (b) comply with the order of a competent judicial authority in any jurisdiction; (c) comply with legal process served on Nikoli; (d) protect and defend the rights and properties of Nikoli; or (e) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Nikoli's users or the public at large.
Nikoli does not require that you accept cookies, however, some functionality on our website, and products and services may be disabled if you decline to accept cookies. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it.
Non-Japanese customer Information
No error free performance
Contact us about privacy
If you have any questions about the privacy aspects of our products or services, or would like to make a complaint, please contact us.